Cottage Hill Herb Farm is pleased to announce its 2008 Herbal Diploma course starting in July…
A Little About Herbal Medicine
Herbal medicine is the oldest medicine on the planet and still the referred medicine of the greater population worldwide. More than 80% of the world’s population uses Herbals as mainstream medicine, according to the World Health Organisation.
Most of us do not have the slightest idea of how to achieve and maintain good health today. Our fast pace lifestyles, with polluted environments, alcohol abuse, drug dependencies, fast foods and high tech stress, make us susceptible to all sorts of illnesses, with many of them life threatening. The 3rd leading cause of death in the Western world today is the admission to a hospital!! What does this say for our healthcare system.
We have simply lost the ability to take an active part in our own healing of ill health and in understanding the simplicity of achieving optimum health, through the cleansing, rebuilding and maintenance of our bodies, using pure, natural, cost effective herbs rocessed in the traditional ways.
Cottage Hill Herbs ’Diploma of Herbal Studies’ is a unique way to study the uses and application of a wide range of herbs. Students work with the plants, grown organically, working from the ground up – learning practical methods of growing and use of herbs raditionally and clinically. We develop an intimate understanding of the plants when working with nature first hand. The aromas, scents and growth patterns speak to us and we each grow in an awareness of the other.
1. Introduction to Herbal Medicine and Herbal Terminology.
2. Body Systems, Disease, Nutrition Therapy.
3. Herbal Therapeutics, Herbal First Aid.
4. Herbal Medicine and Animal Treatments. Including production of animal care products.
5. Herb Identification, Collection and Cataloging of 50 Herb Specimens.
6. Horticultural Methods, Propagation, Harvesting, Drying and Seed Collection.
7.Understanding the Elements of Health.
8. Holistic Nutrition, Diet, and Detoxification.
9. Identifying Symptoms.
10. Phytonutrients and Nutraceuticals.
11. Planting “Your Green Pharmacy”.
12. Essential Oils and their Therapeutic Use and Application
13. Production of Ointments, Salves, Tinctures, Oil Blends, Capsules, Formulas and Herbal Teas.
14. Formulations, Poultices, Compresses, and Powders.
15. Natural Skin Care Creation.
16. Running a Chemical Free Home and Formulation of Cleaning Products.
17. Flower Essences.
18. Herbal Crafts, Seasonings and Culinary Blends
19. Business and Marketing Opportunities
- No prior herbal knowledge is required for this course, although the commitment to complete assignments given throughout the year is essential. This involves approximately 3 hours per week in addition to class attendance.
- Graduation is not subject to examination, but is assessed on adequate completion and understanding of all assignments given over the year’s course.
- Becoming herbally educated is one of the most important and cost effective steps you can take toward wise and effective healing of body, mind and spirit.
- Class numbers are strictly limited to 10 students only.
- The class year consists of fortnightly attendance of one full weekend per fortnight, held at the Herb Farm. Assignments and further weekly study is conducted during students own time, but is a requirement of attendance. On time regular attendance is also required, as is prepayment of student fees.
- All materials, herb plants, seeds, bottles etc are supplied. All ointments, crèmes, tinctures, capsules etc – produced by
- students are supplied at no additional cost to students and become the property of each student. Personal paperwork and books are not supplied, but notes where required are provided, other than those taken during class.
- Total hours involved are approximately 200, plus assignments
July 12th & 13th and 26th & 27th
August 2nd & 3rd and 16th & 17th and 30th & 31st
September 13th & 14th
October 4th & 5th and 18th & 19th
November 8th & 9th and 22nd & 23rd
10:30am – 4:30pm
Fee: $2170 (inclusive)
Enrolments close as soon as the course is filled. Enrolment forms must be completed prior to the course start date. Please email or phone Donna on (04) 526 4753 to request an enrolment form to be sent to you.
Venue: This course is held at the Cottage Hill Herb Farm located at 2 Bridge Road, Birchville, Upper Hutt. For driving directions please click here
Please note: Students enrolling in the Herbal Diploma are strictly limited to 10 students in total per course. Should a student be unable to complete the course, the course fee is still due and payable, as per enrolment conditions.